UPDATE JULY 13th, 2015: Because of the amount of Spam comments on this post, I closed the comments section. If you want to get in touch with me use social media or send me an email: post (a) pimrakers.nl
UPDATE SEPTEMBER 13th, 2011: I received scans from the original spec sheet from the Gent’s Touring from a fellow rider and put them into a PDF on my site. As soon as I receive the other scans I may be able to upload specs for all the bikes from 1978.
Read more and download the 1978 Specification Sheet here.
In the last few days I have done a lot of research on this bike, but it isn’t always that easy. I found out that the Koga-website offers all the brochures in PDF (from 1976). Most of them also have a list of parts for every bike mentioned in the brochure. Except the one from 1978. With my Gents Touring in it. So, I just have to cross check the parts used in the ’77 and ’79 model and compare them with what is installed on my bike.
Right, I promised a more in depth look at the bike so let’s get started with that! Since I already took some things apart, the pictures might show a strange looking bike here and there, but bear with me!
I started working on the front of the bike so the front wheel has been taken out and the tire and tube removed. The tire is a Wolber wire tire and according to the text on the side it’s a 27 x 1 1/8″ size (see pictures below). The rim is a Mavic Module 3. Funny thing is that the sticker on the rim reads “27 x 1 1/4″ Utiliser impérativement une méche fond de jante largeur 17 m/m” which is French for ‘use a 17 mm wide rim tape’ and yet the original tire is of a 1 1/8″ width exactly like the brochure tells and the rim tape isn’t 17 mm, but 18 mm. Strange, but I am sure the tire is the original one. Any way I already ordered new tires and tubes because I don’t want to wear the original ones out. I couldn’t get my hands on an original Wolber tire (are they still even produced?) so the Continental Ultra Sport will have to do.
The rims are made of aluminum and using a brillo-like sponge with water and soap (dishwashing detergent) I cleaned of the brake pad dirt and got rid of most of the oxidation. After the cleaning I started polishing the aluminum with Commandant 4 and a simple towel. It takes some elbow grease and time, but it sure pays off! The right part in the photo has been polished after cleaning.
Along with the tire I removed and disassembled the front brake. The caliper has Shimano Tourney (model BB-100) written on the front, but the dual extension brake levers read Shimano Del 50 (model MB-110). I presume “Del” stands for dual extension lever. This is one of the parts where I am unsure about what the right name or type is… Do the levers belong to the calipers or are they really two different types? What I did found is a very nice set of scans somewhere on the interwebs from a Shimano Tourney catalog from 1972. I took the effort of putting them together into one PDF-file and even OCR-ed them (that means you can search for text inside the image scans). I will host the Shimano Tourney Caliper Brakes catalog for everyone (right-click to save PDF).
The brakes got the same treatment as the rims. First washing in some mild detergent and after that a good rub with Commandant 4. I am still looking for a way to ‘seal’ the bare aluminum. If that is necessary, but I think the aluminum will start to oxidize easier without wax, lacquer or any other kind of protective coat on it.
Well, that’s about all the parts I have removed untill now. Let’s get on to the other aspects of the bike… Just a simple list of images you can flip through. The name, brand, type of it will be in the description. So click away and enjoy!