Let there be light

Let there be light

Well… After I finally destroyed the massive concrete block in the middle of our garden over the weekend, I started pre-germinating a bunch of seeds for some vegetables and perennials. Using simple egg cartons and peat-free potting soil I got started. Filled up the cartons, pressed in the earth, poured some water laid down seeds and covered them up when needed. Some are kept inside, some are in the cooler (almost “outside temperature”) hallway.

A friend of mine provided me with a bunch of seeds from his own collection and I bought the rest at a German online store called Blauetikett. The dutch friend is going big and started his own edible forrest in Enschede, next to his simple vegetable patches. Go check out his progress over at his website “Modderbaard“. He also has some bee stocks and sells his own raw honey on his website. Tastes awesome!

But before I got to this calming work I had to get rid of the concrete first. I rented a demolition hammer at the local hardware store and I was afraid it was a bit overkill. Turned out it wasn’t. Not by a long shot…

At almost 18 kg and 2000 Watt it was much better than the one I initially wanted to rent, but still took me almost 5 hours to get out everything. During the demolition I thought I smelled something funny and a few minutes later I noticed something that looked like a puddle of water inside the concrete. It wasn’t water. It was beer and that also explained the weird smell. I cut myself too, when I removed some of the debris, but after that I got cautious. I really don’t know why the guy (woman?) who build it put in a full bottle of the local beer (Reissdorf Kölsch to be precise), but I guess I’ll never know since he passed away a few years ago.

After I finally got it all in smaller bits and removed it all from the hole the hardest part was about to come. Or at least the most wearisome… Shoveling the dirt back in to the crater. And piling up the debris. How it looks now, I still need a few qubic meters of soil/earth to top it off, but it looks much better now after months of concrete.

The debris I took out will be partially reused for the foundation of our herb spiral. but that is another story. For now I will need to take care of the seedlings and prepare the 6 beds that we will use for our vegetables in crop rotation. All the shrubs also need to be trimmed and pruned, because they have been neglected for a long time. As well as the bramble that has been making it’s way through the complete garden really needs to be cut down in some places. Loads of work, but also lots of fun.